I spent last Saturday at the Scottish games up in Enumclaw, WA. I had a root beer float, looked at Celtic jewelry, and came home sunburned. It was great. Here are five reasons why Scotland and the Scottish games are fun.
- They have good sweets. If you want toffee, shortbread, fudge, or salted caramel fudge, this is the place for you. I’d stay away from the Irn-Bru though. It’s bubble gum flavored soda and probably tastes as bad as it sounds. I don’t know. I’ve had the sense not to try it.
- Their sports are more interesting than you’d think. I watched a group of big, Hagrid looking men fork a bale of hay thirty feet in the air. The crowd held its breath every time they came close.
- They’re badass. If you want a spiked mace, broadsword, or dagger made into a hairclip, this is where to get it.
- They’re also nerdy. If you want a replica of Sting from The Lord of the Rings, you can find that here too.
- They have adorable displays of dogs herding ducks. You wouldn’t think 10 ducks could fit into one pet carrier, but you’d be wrong. They really wanted to get away from that border collie.
I recommend getting there early and leaving before five o’clock. You wouldn’t think everyone could fit onto the two lane country road heading out of town, and you’d be right.